Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cafézinho and Koffie

Brazilian coffee: tastes round, very round. When you drink it with milk just like in the photo above, you miss the nuances of wood and fruit - heresy ! But well, it reminds me of my childhood. "Cafe' com leite", mmmm... (in Dutch it is called Koffie verkeerd or "wrong coffee")
I receive many e-mails from people asking me about Brazil, Brazilian language, culture, how/where to learn Portuguese in the NL, etc. etc.. Also people asking me randoms about the Dutch habits and culture. Complicated things like...
How to order your coffe in a bar ?

Lately I am loving the videos from Street Smart Brazil blog. Its a great medium to learn about many Brazilian traces, habits, gastronomy and so on. Wanna know about the country ? Then Read SSB blog. Example ? Check this vide about how to order coffee .
And also this one about the history of coffee I have just found in Youtube. The presentator is such a funny guy, I love all his videos !
Holland - and Europe as general - are another story regarding coffee consumption. You sit down and have a cookie with it - only one.
You sit down and calmly... drink... your coffee... calmly sipping with pauses.
Holland is big in coffe rituals b.t.w - it is called koffie drinken.
Would you like it black (koffie zwart), with lots of milk (koffie verkeerd) or with some drops of evaporated milk  (met koffiemelk) ?   With or without sugar cubes ? (met of zonder suiker klontjes) ?
It is something from the last decade or so that Brazilians are sitting down to savour it. Cause commonly you just down a tiny cup in two sips - while on the go ! You drink it to wake up, you drink it to relax, you drink it after drinking alcohol and before driving, after lunch, after dinner, when checking out at a motel, you drink it to brush away your sadness and you drink it when bumping into a friend on the street. Always on the run !
Now excuse me I am going to have a cup before I go to zzzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment