Monday, December 27, 2010

Brigadeiros (Brazilian chocolate truffles)

Why not enjoying some brigadeiros during the 1st of January ? It is so easy to prepare that even a eight year old kid can do it (ooops, and I have to start teaching it to my son asap). Three ingredients: cocoa powder, 1 can of condensed milk and chocolate sprinkles. Maybe some butter too, depending on the quality and consistency of the condensed milk you are going to employ. Believe me: the Dutch love this. I regularly make brigadeiros for birthday parties at home. I will do some for the New Year's Eve as well. I think they are very yummy and look fab & festive - but unfortuanltely are very understimated. Here I am with my humble blog telling the world to try it ! I am helping to spread some Brazilian gastronomy knowledge.   

Above, I hold one brigadeiro between my fingers, so that you can see how big they are. They should be firm and round - and stay firm and round even after a couple of hours. If you make them and they get flat after a while then you need more practice and cook them longer.
Here you see them placed in mini cups, ready to be served. I have bought such mini cups in Brazil, but you can serve them directly on plates, like on my first photo. Or maybe on pretty spoons, such as amuse bouche and hors d'oeuvres served at cocktail parties.

I have found this video on youtube in English. The teachers Luciana, Bethania and Vanessa from Street Smart Brazil course will tell you on a humorous way how to prepare them. Boa sorte e bom apetite !



I have so many years of practice doing brigadeiros that I arrived to the point I do not need unsalted butter, a non-stick pan or wodden spoon. I use a regular pan and spoon. But if you are preparing it for the first time just follow all Bethania's advices. For a larger image double click on the video quickly. This trick will lead you to the youtube page where you can enjoy a wider screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment