Saturday, December 19, 2009

Lazy Saturday [Doce de Leite, mmm]

At the moment I have some vacations from the Dutch course. I have had a lazy Saturday and spare time to do something lekkers in the kitchen. It has always amazed me that most Dutch do nothing about condensed milk. They use it for the coffee and that's it. While in Brazil it can be used for zillion of puddings, pies, cake fillings and sweets. But then I think it is a typical South American thing, this passion for doce-de-leite / dulce de leche.
Something sooo easy to try: get a can of condensed milk, remove the label and place it in a pressure cook pan (snelkookpan). Cover it with water. Cook it for exactly half an hour. Remove it from the pan and let it cool down before opening it. (If you do not have such a pan you may have to cook it for 1h. )
Spread it on your favourite cake, croissants or cookies. I personally love it with cake and pices of pineapple. The thickened condensed milk tastes super sweet and the pineapple adds some balance to it. But that's me. It goes also well with strawberries or you favourite fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment