Friday, March 12, 2010

Gruitendag [Vegetables & Fruit Day]


At the school of my kid they have gruitendagen on Wednesdays and Fridays.
I 'd better explain it first.
Groente is a Dutch word for vegetables. The plural is groenten.
Fruit is also fruit in English (with a different pronunciation).

Groente + fruit: gruit. From that it was developed the verb gruiten = the act of eating veggies and fruits. Dag means day. Plural is dagen.

Such campaign started last year at his school on Wednesdays: to the parents it was advised they should send their kids favorite fruits or veggies for the 10 o'clock break. And the children were told the importance of eating raw, through stories and music.
My son got tired of bananas, apples, pears and tangerines. Plus: he hates kiwis - for the moment, I hope. Therefore I occasionally take him to the supermarket so that he can point out his preferrences. He said he likes raw carrots (!) and cumcumbers, and cooked corn. Funny enough I am not so fond of raw carrots or bell peppers but probably he has seen other children eating such things. Next week I will try different things and take him again to the supermarket. I have also noticed that some children have a plastic lunch box containing all sorts of fruits mixed and a fork with an adhesive tape attached on the top of the box. Some take fruit mixed with raisins and seeds. VERY good idea.
This year we have two gruiten days. I wouldn't get suprised if next year the school supports the idea for three days. Ideally every child should eat only pieces of fruit/veggie for his/her 10 o'clock break. No cookies, chocolates or cakes anymore. I think this is great incentive to educate the children about good habits cause obesity galore in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment