Monday, March 15, 2010

Oh so Dutch !!



Narcissus out, orchids in.

Holland is a great place to buy ornamental flowers and plants in general. Not only at far away green houses along highways and flowersshops downtown but also your regular supermarket right around the corner.

Variation, top quality and good price.

My narcissus died (of course) and I decided to try mini orchids. They can be complicated, I know. My children are not naughty with plants, but I wonder whether they will survive occasional objects being thrown around in the air. Notice I have placed some escargots near the leaves. That's typical me: I will adorne with shells my toilet, bathroom, vases with plants and place them on cover of books and shelves. I also have a very big cement vase in the living room near the window, shell shaped - or better saying: a cornucopia vase with a plant and lots of escargots. I love the organic, feminine and sometimes misterious shapes that shells have. But I think I would never do that in Brazil (overdecorating places and shelves with organic objects). Maybe it is something typical Dutch I have now in my aesthetics ? I am preparing a composition of poted flowers for the kitchen as well, I have already started with some pics but it can be better. That would be unthinkable in Brazil: flowers in the kitchen !!



If you are living in the NL and have a special bathroom or kitchen (with lots of character) and would like to have them posted here just send me your photos. No flash preferably. I am constantly looking for new photos of Dutch homes.

If you are and expat living in the NL... have you changed your conception of home decoration since you live here ? How ? and why ?
Photo above: my "oh so Dutch" toilet. The tiles with Dutch ships are original and came from a demolished chymney. The shell and star shaped candleholder are from Zara.

No comments:

Post a Comment