Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Front Doors: Perigueux, France

We all know this blog is supposed to be about Duchie eyecandies... But from several places I have visited during my vacations in France I have never seen such beautiful front doors as those from Perigueux.
 The city is very very ancient (gallian tribes used to live in the area some centuries before our Christian era) and located on the medieval route to Saint' Jacob of Compostela, in Spain. The two museums (the gallo-romansite of Vesunna and the Art and Archeology) are superb. But let's see the doors, shall we ?








 In Holland the doors are in better shape and in different Dutch cities around the country you find the same doors (I guess they all come from "Gamma", "Karwei" or "Praxis"). In the old center of Perigueux I have never seen two similar doors: it seems they were made for specific sizes and are always of a different model.
 Something that captivated me since my first visit there in 1999 were these iron hands that are used as door knockers.
 Each one is different.


 Manicured nails and a green apple, hahaha !!

I have found one of such door knockers for my Dutch house in the shop "Bricolage" nearby the city of Bergerac. My father-in-law painted it dark green, the same shade as our front door. Charming isn't it ? Everybody can knock-knock on my door in great style now !

No comments:

Post a Comment