Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Play with your food


There is nothing like knowing where things come from. No artifical flavors, no food coloring, no red dye #8. Just goats milk, just eggs, just pears and honey. Don't get me wrong I've had my fair share of Whataburger's, but you are what you eat. I'd rather pursue products that support people doing what they love. Most soap is made in a factory, but hand made soap is personal. Someone named Laura Stone feeds those goats, she treats them like family, she gets the milk, she makes the soap, she cuts it by hand in her kitchen, wraps it in paper, puts your address on it, and sends it off to you. That means something. I wish it were all as simple as that. In the real world, when I'm not inhaling something before I move to the next task, it's nice to slow down, sit in front of a plate, at a table, and eat what I know. I am not perfect, I still eat string cheese from a plastic packet and buy ramen noodles in a styrofoam cup. My oven is primarily used to heat up DiGiorno's but when I can, I stand for what I love. At the end of the day, when I take a deep breath and settle in next to Roo, just before watching CSI, I thank God and I hope that's good enough.

Lesson #9: Slow down

No comments:

Post a Comment