Sunday, September 26, 2010

Spirit


"There is no such thing as defeat except when it comes from within. As long as a person doesn't admit he is defeated, he is not defeated-he's just a little behind and isn't through fighting."
    - Darrell K. Royal

In Texas, religion and football are everything. My father used to sit on the couch in the ever stylish men’s short shorts (a style he has never abandoned) and say, "Well Sarah, are you ready for some football?" We watched teams like the Cowboys and Oilers. (when they were in Houston not Tennessee) Ok so admittedly I don't really know what's going on during the game. I have no idea what off-sides means, I judge penalties by boos, and I think screaming in public is embarrassing; but I love when my team runs for a touchdown. I love when total strangers give each other high fives. I love watching the replay. In that moment the entire stadium erupts and we all stand for the same thing. In fact I don't just love cheering, I love winning. However as any good fan knows, even the best team will experience loss. We put it out of our mind because losing the game is the worst case scenario, but without the possibility there is no game. More than winning, more than cheering, what I love most is the spirit, the fight, the grit. That's what football is all about. That's what life is all about.

Lesson #5: Respect Adversity

No comments:

Post a Comment