Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Food for Thought ?

( Brazilian readers can check the same text below translated into Portuguese going to another blog I also write for: http://www.inteirativa.blogspot.com/ under the title "Tofu or Not Tofu ?" )

Readers, as you know from my previous posts, I do not work on Wednesdays (by the way, like most mothers in the Netherlands). Therefore I have the opportunity of eating home made food and not sandwiches or microwaved meals. I love eating what my husband calls “crazy food”, such as tofu. This pictured above I just baked slightly with some sesame oil in a tefal pan and seasoned it with oyster sauce and sesame seeds. My children also find it yummy. One of these days I had my mother on the phone and she mentioned how much she has reduced the consumption of red meats (and all sorts of meat in general). I suggested her to try tofu. She refused cause according to her the Amazon Wood was being eliminated for the cultivation of soya. I had a guilty feeling about my lunch.
Walking weeks ago by the streets of Zaandam, I have spotted these posters. Curious as I am, I started to photograph them. My camera has limited resources, but it is an honest one and I think you can understand the photos well. The title of the poster says: “The Drama behind Cheap Meat”. You can read: " No, supermarket A.H. does not sell monkey meat. But does sell pork and chicken who were fed with soya ingredients. For the cultivation of soya, tropical woods are eliminated. Therefore animals and plants also disappear. This has to be different. Sign now: http://www.stopfoutvlees.nl/” It is a campaign from “Milieu Defensie”. I have checked its site, and it s very interesting. Vegetarian recipes, videos, famous people preaching the reduction of red meat. Lots of idealism.
Now, I am feeling very guilty about everything. For enjoying chicken meat, for having a wooden floor, for using the car half way to my work, for eating soya, for using the airplane. And you ? What do you feel guilty for ? Have you changed your life style in any terms ?

No comments:

Post a Comment