Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brasil 2014



I wonder whether I will travel to Brazil in order to watch at least one of the matches during the World Cup in 2014. I would like to check in locu how things work, in a country with continental dimensions (5th biggest in the world by geographical size) and deep differences. Everything for the big party in 2014 is behind schedules, and the task is monumental. New airports need to be built from the ground, as well as more roads, more highways, more metro lines, more hotels. Very, very worrisome.

Or maybe not.

"Despite all the earlier setbacks preparing for 2014, Brazil has $239mn accumulated in reserves and its development bank is one of the world's wealthiest. By nearly all estimates, the middle class has grown, and poverty fallen to record levels in the past few years.
Brazil has arrived on the world stage and will likely never look back at the old days when it was considered a developing power underachiever". (excerpt from Gabriel Elizondo's article for Al-Jazeera, 12th July 2010)

Above: Beira-Rio stadium in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul.

I have been into a football match in Arena, Amsterdam,  many years ago (I had gotten free tickets) and was impressed with this state-of-art stadium. I found the supporters relaxed and everything very organized. Another world. I actually got surprised that women were there (I normally wouldn't dare to go to the Maracana to watch a match due to the enormous frenesi and the supporters' wildness). Well, I will be following the news about the organization of the Cup 2014 during the next years and hearing to the gossips from my friends. June/July is winter in Brazil - still sunny but cooler. Delicious. Brasil does deserves a positive, international projection. My fingers are crossed and I I hope in 2014 my thumbs will be up !
(Check the Fifa WC 2014 logo going here. Famous Brazilians such as Paulo Coelho, Gisele Bundchen, Oscar Niemeyer and Ivete Sangalo explain why they chose it. Detail: no designers among the jury... Mmmm... Well, for a video about the stadia go here. )

No comments:

Post a Comment