Sunday, July 11, 2010

Castricum Aan Zee

I think it is funny that there are some Dutch location names such as Hilversum, Castricum, Blaricum, Bakkum and others. Reminds me of Babaorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Petibonum, "the last resistance in Gallia against the Romans".
I have been many times in a pancake house in Castricum, surrounded by beautiful "woods" (=an area where the trees were planted in lines and there are paths and signs to follow if you want to have a walk in the... "woods".) This was my first time in the beach. When on the driveway following signs with direction to "Castricum aan Zee" you end up in a huge parking lot (6euros on a Sunday, oh my !) giving access to the beach. Many beaches in Europe are not democratic places, where you can go by public transport or at any hour of the day.

It was a tropical weather, but after 1pm started to get graysh and the temperature dropped down. I think Holland has beautiful beaches with excellent cafes and restaurants - it is such a pity that the weather is not always good enough to get a tan. Anyway, I have seen even during the winter the beaches full of people walking along the boulevards. Winter coats and boots on, they go for a walk while savouring on fries or fried cod.

Some Dutch women do topless (unthinkable in Brazil) and the bottom of the bikinis are big like diapers for grown ups (idem). Or the top is more like the shape of a bra, instead of triangles. But this is my personal view, of course. Not better or worse. I still keep buying my bikinis in Brazil though, thank you.
Because we are still little by little preparing are yoghurt colour skin for the summer, I decided not to stay long. After a couple of hours toasting my cellulitis, I decided the kids should stop with collecting shells and we should have some drinks.
Yesterday was around 37oC and today less hot but still delicious. Not bad ! If the weather continues like that my cellulitis will be toasted enough to make a good impression during my French vacations. Oh-lala!

No comments:

Post a Comment