Wednesday, November 11, 2009

St. Martin's Day




11 November is de dag
Dat mijn lichtje branden mag...

Amsterdam, 11 november 1954.
Collectie AHF / Ben van Meerendonk
negative number AHF 12900

Today my kids are going to celebrate St. Martin's. Traditionally it is celebrated in the evening of November 11 in some parts of the Netherlands, in a very small part of Belgium (mainly in the east of the Dutch-speaking Flanders), and I have heard that also in most areas of Germany and Austria. Basically goes as follows: children go through the streets with paper lanterns and candles, and sing songs about St. Martin. In return, they get candies and maybe fruit (tangerines mostly). There is always one or two parents with the group of children. Here some photos from paper lanterns kids at school made themselves:


This evening, my husband will walk around the block with our kids and maybe kids from the neighbours. He knocks at the doors, kids start into singing and then they get some chocolate. Each year they learn at school more songs and more variations. I will stay home to offer the kids knocking at my door some muffins.


I just added little pieces of apricots and grenadine seeds to a traditional muffin recipe. I think the kids will like it !
Jip & Janneke, 11 november

No comments:

Post a Comment