Monday, February 21, 2011

2TheLoo, Amsterdam (Flagshit store)


Last Friday I decided to go hunting for more sales, this time in Amsterdam. The country is a bit "empty" right now, with many cloggies being absent - enjoying winter/ski vacations. I was already anticipating the sensation of comfort in the bus and in the streets. It would be great: fewer bumpings and crowds. In the bus I was lucky enough to find two free papers : and "old" Sp!ts from 17th Feb. and a new, plus a Metro. Both editions of Sp!ts had articles about a new shop in town: a toilet shop. Or better saying: a peeshop (in Dutch: plasshop).  Ahn ? Ok, one more craziness in Amsterdam. Geezz, I will have to check that ! Luckily I have my camera with me.
Under the photo one reads: Emptying your bladder in a chic way is possible since yesterday in the Kalverstraat, in Amsterdam. The title of the article is: Peeshop sells "relief". (Sp!ts 17Feb. 2011)
Again, Sp!ts. Now the 18th Feb. edition.  "A fine pee and an excellent flush" . Below: the opening party, detail.
Generally when I need to pay a visit to the toilet while visiting A'dam I go to the Bijenkorf, or the Magna Plaza. They cost 50 cents and you have to go to the highest floor. So much walking... Anyway, I try not to drink before I leave to the big city. This time I hadn't yet started my shopping in the Kalverstraat and I needed to go to the toilet already. I couldn't even try some pants, grrr...

Hey, here it is: 2theloo. Easily recognizable. It looks posh.

I was almost blind and tap dancing. I threw a one euro piece and enjoyed my relief in a chic cabin.

Throw your coin (s), get the ticket and run ! Open the door and aaaahhh... Hey, I didn't have to press the flush button - it was automatic, just like in Schiphol airport.
The sinks are very contemporary and automatic too.
Ignace enthousiastically posed for the pics. First quickly arranged his hair and... smile !
The toilet costs one euro - and you get a fifty euro cent voucher to use as discount in one of the products available at 2theloo. I decided to buy an Always pads pack of 1,99 - I paid thus 1,49.
Below: you can also buy water (2thel'eau) or coffee.

Below: the selection of products available, where you can use your 50 euro cent discount voucher.  
Ignace also showed me the "family room", for parents-kids and babies - and a very small toilet.


For the moment, the expansion plan is of 16 2theloo shops in the NL. The owners have also international ambitions: there are shops to be open in Belgium, Poland and South Africa. A toilet shop -  why has nobody thought about this before ?   A must try ! (The Dutch are sooo entrepreneurial. And I am once more convinced they always know how to make things better...)

Readers, what did you think of this post ?
Would you like to try one 2theloo? Where do you go when you are shopping and need to go to a restroom ? Do you find 1euro expensive ? I'd like to hear from you !

No comments:

Post a Comment