Thursday, February 24, 2011

Villa Arena, Amsterdam


If you follow this blog regularly then you know I moving to a new house next month. Because it is a bigger one and especially because it thas two living rooms we have been for a while looking for extra furniture. Two weekends in a row were dedicated to the via crucis of searching floors (laminaat) in several shops and a new sofa hunting at Villa Arena, Amsterdam (see my photo above). Villa Arena meubel boulevard has the finest of contemporary decorations and furniture. But also colonial/retro/country style (such as Riviera Maison shop). We always take a lot of pictures - discreetly and when possible - and make some written or mental notes. This can be veeery tiring, I cannot focus any longer and cannot walk anymore. But... we... must... go... on...
Above: a "poof" or stool which top can also be used as a serving tray/coffee table. I loved it and wanted to pay and take to the car asap - but hubby being the non impulsive cloggie he is held me back. So as the  vendors at markets in Morocco or Turkey complain say about the Dutch clients: "Kijken, kijken - niet kopen". Look, look... do not buy. 


This standard is also in my "wish list". I have some vases with amazing plants I would like to place on a pair of simple wooden pedestals like the one above. But my husband wants to buy new articles only when we are settled down in the new home. He doesn't want to make mistakes or have excesses. We are going to be moving in phases, so in order to not complicate our logistics it is indeed better to buy new furniture when we are able to place it already in the new address.

A quick pause at a Douwe Egberts shop. My son chose a brownie pie, husband preferred a cheese cake. Impossible to say which one was the best.  
Now, that's funky ! We need to buy a night stand for my son, to be placed near his bed. He loved them. These ones are made of cheap wood and covered with tin. Yes, tins. Found at the Woonfabriek at Villa Arena. Check the details below:

Thinking well, I find this pretty cool stuff BUT (there is always a "but" with me) we need to think again. I have my doubts about this night stand. It is so busy, you probably get tired of it very quickly. Or not.
Still in Villa Arena... that's HIM ! A L-shaped leather couch with adjustable head support. We have taken some pictures of it, checked the colour possibilities and took notes of the measures. It is definitely above our budget, so for the moment we do not buy it. Boy, God had given me a good taste - but forgot to provide me with money. To the Marktplaats then ! I have sold a baby furniture set via that site a couple of years ago and loved the experience. There are also very, very fine furniture pieces at Marktplaats.nl. Antiquities, contemporary, country style... you name it. Thousands and thousands and thousands of articles. Just like Funda, it is a must visit site if you are busy in the NL with a new home/decoration. 

Have you ever shopped at Marketplaats ? Was it a good or a bad (or terrible) experience ? What are your fave decoration/interior shop (s) in the NL ? Did you marry / started a family here in the NL and had to shop for a whole new  furniture set ? Any faves ? Ikea, Loods 5 ... ? Any second hand funiture business you recommend ?  I wanna hear from you !  

No comments:

Post a Comment