Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beautiful [Mooi]

Although I have been living for more than a decade in the Netherlands, I can not stop comparing the Dutch culture to the Brazilian. This magazines Mooi ("beautiful") is freely distributed by Etos, one of the most important Dutch drugstores in the country. Other drugstores are: Kruidvat, D.A. and Dirx. I think Etos is the "most" Dutch (please Dutch readers correct me if I am wrong).
The girls in the cover of Mooi are always "blank": fair skin, soft hair, blue eyes. In the inside, you see one or two photos of non-European models. What strikes me about Dutch makeup is that some girls do use blue/green mascara on the eyelashes and dark lip contour, aging them a lot. You do not see that in Brazil at all. Dutch women have in general amazing long eyelashes and wear lots of dark (forget the greenish blue please !) mascara, what gives them a beautiful look. In tropical countries you cannot take risks with mascara, even water-proof products will melt down. I think Brazilian gilrs wear much more lipstick than Dutch girls. It is a kind of compensation. Dutch make up: eyes. Brazilian makeup: lips.

Another thing is that acrylic nails are popular in the NL, and French manicure style as well. I think it is so vulgar (fake nails), but I learned that this is a cultural concept. There is not much sun, the nails do not grow so quickly and strong... therefore some women just fake it.

Etos and the other Dutch drugstores are really great selling a huge range of products. A while ago I even spotted a vibrator being sold in a drugstore, can you imagine it ? I still miss some classic Brazilian products thought ("Colubiazol" drops, "Minancora" cream, "Granado" powder...). And hair colour products are just soooo pricey here !

And you reader ? Are you a foreigner and familiarized to Dutch beauty products ? What do you miss about your home country ?

No comments:

Post a Comment