Sunday, May 29, 2011

Amsterdam, The Bicycling City



This video has a bit "educational" tone, but is a good one. Amsterdammers love their bikes, despite the high index of stolen ones. Not only is the country flat, but the drivers are also polite towards people cycling. Sometimes, I even think that people bicycling become too pushy in their rights. For instance, in my village it is not uncommon that two or three people bike side by side, reducing all the speed of the traffic of cars behind them.  Or a protective parent that goes into the street with his/her five year old slowly practicing on the main street. I have also met people in Amsterdam with top jobs who raised kids and built a busy life withouth never owning a car - yes, it is possible. I hope I have never to drop my car in the future - my life would be more difficult without one, especially during rainy or very cold days. But everytime we have a "good weather" (=no rain) I use the bike. No doubt about it !

No comments:

Post a Comment