Friday, May 6, 2011

Spring Time in My (New) Back Yard


March and April have been busy months for me. Despite my usual routine, I decided to attack the weed an clean up the garden in my new house (we still didn't sell the "old" one where we are living). My husband declared the front and back yard to have "0 priority". I disagreed with him and decided to put my hands and soul in it.
Above, a view of the left side of the back yard from a room upstairs.
The blue rain is amazing now ! Below, you  can see how many side branches from this plant that were on the floor and that I cut off. This plant was neglected, like most plants in the back yard. Because the previous owner had a difficult time and depression during the last years she didn't care much about her back yard. A neighbour used to come now and then and water the plants for her - but that was it. I think the plants were already a bit depressed... I have brought some hope and energy to them.


My father in law helped a lot bringing a little car to remove all the weeds, cut branches and dead leaves I had piled on the floor. I also removed a yuca plant that I found very dangerous with immense pointy leaves. First, I started filling plastic bags with the trash, but then I decided just to pile everything on the floor. Mega Mindy coudn't make the pile disappear, that's why I always end up calling Super Old Pa for help. He always has a solution.

Below, the right side of the back yard. The central area is still relatively "empty", only with a fig tree and some plants. This year I have removed the weeds that were everywhere, cut several willow trees, brought more earth (forming much, much more soil). New year we will make the garden "fuller" with more specimens of plants.


On the end of the back yard there is a deck along the canal. It continues into the garden of one of my neighbours. We do not have a fence or something like that separating us from such neighbours. It is in principle not a bad idea because now and then they pump water from the canal and bring it also to my back yard.
There was a moment when I started cleaning up the backyard I would find 15 to 20 heaves a day. I used to crash them under my shoes while doing the heavy work of removing weeds. I reached a point that I would sleep at night and couldn't forget the sound of them being crashed. Deeply annoying. I decided to follow my neighbour Bonnie's advice and throw the heaves into the canal instead. This one on the pic I have spotted today. Everyday I still find at least one - or two.  
Above and below: I find  incredible that despite the intense and radical cutting I performed on the fig tree it is already producing leaves and some fruits. I am already thinking about a sexy salad I have spotted on Nigella Lawson's book with figs and a tapenade recipe with olives and figs I know so well.   

If I had to choose a concept of design for a back yard, then I think immediately about an extension of the living and dining area - al fresco. I love hosting friends and family, so it is rather practical when you have a back yard terrace style, with just a couple of trees and some pots of plants and flowers. Below I have photographed a neighbour's backyard. But my husband is crazy about a romantic concept of garden with flowers and lots of plants and herbs and trees.

Again, the covered sitting area of the neighbour's garden. You cannot see it here on the picture, but on the left side they have a huuuge pannel with lavender fields.

Above, a section of my front garden - it was also full of weeds. I spent one week working here and now the hydrangeas (hortensias) and the trees are stating to present new leaves.  

That's it for now. I am terribly exhausted from two months of work in the back yard - and hay fever.  I hope next year to be able to blog about my back yard again, when it becomes much prettier !

No comments:

Post a Comment