Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Dutch Garden Center (with a French Allure)

A couple of days ago I decided to visit one of the local garden centers in my village, in order to be in contact witth the beauty of the new plants that arrive on Monday afternoons. I also wanted to check the new pots, vases, arrangements, statues and other articles. Maybe I would even buy something to cheer me up - although my house is already full !

There are a lot of French words and expressions on the furniture and pots this year. I remember years ago you would see rather Spanish and Italian. So instead of "Côte D'Azur"on a chair, you would spot "Costa Brava", "Las Canarias", or in Italian "La Bella Olanda", "La Vita è Bella", "Dolce Far Niente" writen - or things like that.

Sometimes it is difficult to find the border between "sweet" (above) and "tacky" (below).
Above the most expensive item in this garden center: the statue above. I am not sure about the material it is made of, probably zinc ? I'd rather prefer very heavy concrete and another theme. Surely not a figure holdin a weapon...
OMG, what nonsense is that ? Hahaha !  

Above, an idea that pleases me a lot: the support is from an original Singer sewing machine - with a marble top. It looks like one million ! If this was on sale, I would make an offer.

Well, I entered in this garden center in or der to sniff around for something special. I was not very sure about what I was looking for, I like concrete vases and images, for instance. There were some plants, like an olive tree, that I like A LOT - but it doe'sn't survive to an intense frost in Holland. (It was advised on a label that you should keep the little olive tree in a big concrete pot and remove the plant into your garage during the winter months. Oh, such an impractical plant to be kept in a cold country).  Finally, I have found something sweet and different that I ended up purchasing for my little girl. Have a look:

I think I can do a better mix that these above - I plan to use some leaves, herbs and a couple of mini roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment