Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Acquired Tastes


This morning when I went to the nearby supermarket I noticed a big island with products being offered for 35% discount. I decided to have a look and found really excellent stuff: Moroccan couscous, Indian tea, Spanish rice for paella, soya milk without addictives or E-letters, dark Belgian chocolate, giant Spanish olives, coconut milk. And among the things I was not interested in were: baby food, guacamole for tortillas (very fake, without avocados), ketchup and much much more. Surprisingly, the validity of must products was very long: 2011 or further. I picked my own things (I purchased more items than those on the photo) and asked the cashier why they were being offered on discount. She said the same products are going to arrive soon in a new packaging. I doubt her. I think the referred products were resting for a long time on the shelves and the supermarket decided to get rid of them. Most of them were foreign stuff and Dutch villagers do not know – or are not interested in - how to prepare them. Crisis or not “Wat de boer niet kent dat eet hij niet”. A farmer doesn’t eat what he doesn’t know. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment