Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"You, Maestro of Your Own Life"

After one week of absence from blogland I decided to quickly come here and post something. Since 1st of March I have a new house and we have up to mid April to leave our present one. And since the second day I decided to attack the front and back yard on my own. Like that it would be beautiful when spring arrives and we move in. I have been doing the work of three men and also exagerated with fitness and Zumba lessons. The result is that I couldn't walk normally (I think one leg has become 5 cm shorter than the other) and the grip in my hands disappeared after so much gardening. I really was in the mood for doing something to "prettify" the gardens, especially because hubby will do ALL the tought work (cleaning the wall paper, scrubbing the floors, new floors, painting...). Plus,  I start a full time (and hectic) paid job next week. Yes, blogging doesn't bring one cent and therefore cannot pay my bills.
The flower bouquet on pics were a present from the real state agent when we got the keys. I found it quite special - the florist produced a conventional bouquet and to finalize it she added a long branch with white orchids. The final result was quite unconventional.

On the photo you see W. next to me at my place a couple of weeks ago. She is the previous owner of my new house. She came to my place to tell me how to clean the floors, when/how to trim the plants, how to clean the kitchen granito/curtains/roman shades, etc.. We had a good "click" since the very first moment we saw it other. She has since told me that she decided to sell her big house due to successive changes in her life. First it was an unexpected divorce, that brought a permanent sadness into her life. Then her daughter had a premature child and needed her help a lot. She wants to move to an appartment in Amsterdam near to her daughter.

It is indeed time for a big change - W. is in her 55 years old or something like that. Nice body, warm and spontaneous personality, her own catering business and a life full of new opportunities ! I also told  her that according to Oprah "after the 50's it can only gets better and better !". She laughed.

The last drop of sadness in W.'s life was the death or her mother last year. It was a very strong Thai woman and a nurse from profession who met her father, a half Dutch half Indonesian prisoner doctor, in a concentration camp in Indonesia. When they moved to the Netherlands in the  last century 50's the young couple faced a lot of prejudice. Nonetheless, they decided to build a family of ... 9 kids ! W. added that all her brothers and sisters have up to today a pretty strong bond because they all had  learned since early years to add his/her contribution to the group. I have two kids and have already full hands - I cannot imagine how it could be with nine ! That's when W. added: "My mom during her last moments mentioned she has lived her life exactly the way she chose it to be. Despite the concentration camp, despite the restrictions and prjudices from the Dutch society, despite everything. My mother always said: I am the maestro of my own life. Up to the end ! She was very sick during her last vacations in Thailand and decided she wanted to board in a plane and die in the NL, next to her kids. One day later after her arrival she had her favorite  soup and then told me: I am pretty satisfied. I can die now. And then she did it."   

I, maestro of my own life ...   despite everything... I like that !

No comments:

Post a Comment