Friday, April 1, 2011

Lack of Space: House Boats

Above and below: Amsterdam North.

Walking around in Amsterdam I could notice that the gardens of some house boats are already showing signs of spring. Yes, some house boats do have gardens. Actually they shoudn't be called houseboats (woonboten) for they are sustained by pillars and go nowhere.

I have been into house boats a couple of times. They vary from basic-basic to luxurious - almost a palace on the water, with all the comforts and facilities of an expensive house. After a while, you even forget that your are floating on water. Once, many years ago,  I visited a colleague who lived in such a house. The curtains were closed, we were talking and talking and then I saw the lamp hanging from the ceiling moving to the left... and moving to the right... I though about ghosts and told people in the room about it. They laughed: "We are on water, remember ?!"

Then I stood up and looked for the restroom. I had to hold on some of the furniture on my way to it.

But I think like everything else that is new for you in a house... you end up getting used to it.
Above: house boat located in one of the canals in A'dam.
Above: another house on the same location.

If you had the opportunity... would you like to live in a house boat ?
Maybe even during your vacations ?
Is it charming and cosy ?
Or scary ?

No comments:

Post a Comment