Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Greetings from Sao Paulo # 7: Melissa





Plastic shoes or objects of desire ? Sculptural shoes and sandals which are a real statement: Melissa. More than 50 million pairs of shoes were sold the last 25 years and 20 million were exported from Brazil to the rest of the world. Alexandre Herchcovitch, Vivienne Westwood, Karim Rahid ("the King of Plastic"), Jean Paul Gaultier and Thierry Mugler and some of the many fashion designers that have already developed Melissa models. The possibilites of design for plastic shoes are fascinating.

The photo below is from the Concept Store in Sao Paulo (where else could it be ?). The facade changes every 6 months. In order to actually see the fruits on 3D you should wear special glasses freely distributed inside of the shop. The shop interior is also veeeery techno. I didn't feel inspired to acquiresome some though. I think I have worn too many "melissas" during my childhood, I have had my quota of it. Plastic is difficult to be broken down, thought there are many possibilitites of recycling.

If you wish to know more about Melissa click here while the link lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment