Monday, August 31, 2009

Toilet Tiles [Toilettegels] [Azulejos de banheiro]


A mother helps her child.

Restaurant Caracol, Terschelling. After a relative long absence my son comes back from toilet.

- And... how was it my son ?
- Good. (laugh)
- What took you so long ?
- Uh. Nothing. Hehehe.
- Tell me.
- Er... There were men on the walls. They were doing poo and peeing.
- What are you saying ?
- At the toilet, yeah. Also a boy doing it on the floor, with a mama holding him.
- We are going back there, I need to check that !

I found it curious. Lots of tiles on the ladies' and gents' picturing old drawings from people doing their needs in the open space.
Achei curioso o que meus filhos contaram sobre o que "as figuras nas paredes estavam fazendo". Nos azulejos, tanto no banheiro masculino como no feminino, estavam impressas reproduções de antigas desenhos:personagens fazendo suas necessidades ao ar livre.
I am not going to start here in this post about the history and origins of toilets and different habits around the world. I do not want to be judgemental either. Some of you may find the images on the tiles disturbing or just bleargh ! - I find it unique and funny.
Não vou começar nesse post a contar a historia e origens to banheiro, toaletes e afins. Ha muita informação na net. Alguns de vocês podem achar os desenhos nesses azulejos perturbadores - eu acho tudo original e engraçado.
I have to say it was a spacious and spotless restroom. The tiles give a touch of humour.
O banheiro era grande e limpíssimo. Os azulejos deram um toque de irreverência ao lugar.

At home, our toilet has had a small renovation a while ago. I didn't know about such tiles then. I would go for them. My husband... not at all.
O nosso toalete foi reformado um tempo atrás. Eu ainda não conhecia esse tema para azulejos, arriscaria mesmo a colocá-los em casa. Marido disse que não gostou não !

I like this elegant irreverence in interior decoration. But that is me - I have grown up with people saying I was strange and weird.
Gente, eu adoro uma certa irreverência na decoração de interiores. Mas isso e' um traço típico meu: eu não gosto do que a maioria gosta. E algumas vezes - muitas ate' - já ouvi dizerem que eu era "estranha" e "esquisita".


Fancy it ? Or is it gross ? My children loved them !
Gostou ? Não gostou ? Ficou enjoado (a) ? Com nojinho ?

No comments:

Post a Comment