Friday, August 21, 2009

Mini-interview # 5: Kati De Jong


We go up now, almost to the North Pole. I think for the next interview I have to post someone from the South hemisphere, for the contrast. Kati preferred not to pose for a photo. Helaas, pindakaas.

1) Who are you ?
My name is Kati and I come from Finland. But I have lived my entire "adult-life" in the Netherlands. It was my Dutch boyfriend who made me moving here. After au pairing for a year in Wassenaar I decided to stay in the country for a bit longer and start my International Business and Management studies in Amsterdam. At the the time I did not speak Dutch fluently yet, so I chose a study that was offered in the English language. Studying in the Netherlands was an interesting experience, a complete different approach than the one I was used to. Slowly but surely I learned the Dutch language and found a job in the Human Resources field of an international company close by home. I loved it and decided to go for a career in HR when I would graduate. Now, years later I am still working in HR and really enjoy it. Since I am a proud mother of a 1 year old baby boy I have chosen to work part-time 3 days a week. I am very grateful that it is possible here in the Netherlands.


2) What brought you to the NL ?
You can blame my husband !


3) What do you miss the most about your home country ?
I come from Finland where there are four seasons that really differ from each other (cold and snowy winter, dry and warmer summer, etc.). I miss that a lot. Sometimes I feel it is a long autumn here in the Netherlands as it is often grey and rainy. I also miss some Finnish food, such as rye bread and Fazer chocolate... I always have to explain myself in the luggage check at the airport on my way back home from Finland -with 30 rye bread loaves in my bag !

4 ) What is the best personal experience about living in the NL ? The worst ?
I like the Dutch tolerance and the fact that so many nationalities are represented in this small country. I think that's such a richness and that's where Finland definitely has a learning point ! I also love the architecture and the fact that ther are so many beautiful oldcities and villages. Of course there are also things that took me a long time to get used to such as the Dutch birthday traditions, which I still find very awkward...


5) Would you have advices for expats who have just arrived in the NL ?
Learn the Dutch language. Dutch people all speak English so it is not your primary need. But you will notice that it (speaking Dutch) will make you life easier, and most importantly, more interesting as that is the only way to really get into the Dutch society.
___________________________________________________

Anita's comments:
I think if you come from Finland you do not experience a big cultural shock. Being blond and blue eyed you also blend with the locals immediately. I can relate to your feelings about Dutch birthday celebrations too. Why the guests congratulate everyone present in the party, one by one and looking into the eyes, is a mystery to me. The pies are kept in a paper box in the kitchen and are served before the appetizers. Guest may come in different schedules. So confusing everything. Btw, being a mom like you I also love the opportunity of working partime !
Well, thanks a lot for your time and interview Kati. I do appreciate that.
Interest in making delicious rye bread ? Check:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-rye-bread

Also check why Finnish rye-bread is so special visiting this site:
http://www.eatandjoy.com/?p=56

No comments:

Post a Comment